As most of you know we had an earthquake here on the east coast. BIG DEAL! Okay not really. I felt more afraid in Kingman when I was younger and was actually awakened from my sleepy slumber to find my bed had shifted about a foot away from the wall, and even then it was no big deal. The only affect at our house was a couple of picture frames shifted. Liam and I were at the zoo with Grace and Lilah. We were sitting at the Kid's Farm petting donkeys when we felt mild shaking. Grace looked at me and said "What's that?" My response, "I dunno, maybe somebody is shaking the posts" HA! As we left the zoo, people were being evacuated from one of the zoo buildings and Grace and I jokingly decided maybe it was a bomb threat. It wasn't until I was loading my car that a woman asked me if I felt the earthquake. I responded, "Oh that's what that was" Then she proceeded to tell me that they are evacuating government buildings and closing down for the day. That is when I panicked! Here I am in the middle of DC and now I am going to get bombarded with traffic! I left the zoo at 2:40, and generally takes 20-25 minutes to get home from the zoo. Liam and I arrived at home 4:37PM. People were in panic mode, not following traffic signals, cutting people off, and all I could think about was the movie Independence day and people trying to evacuate the city as fast as possible or they were going to die! On top of it the guy behind me kept honking, I was about ready to jump out of my car and punch him. It took me 1 hour and 10 minutes to go about 1/2 mile. I was ready to cry and Liam was not having it either. I just did my best to keep him entertained. It was the most RIDICULOUS thing I have ever had to experience. I also found it funny that the media covered primarily DC and NY when those were not even where it hit the hardest! This article made me laugh this morning because I am mocking everyone here just as much as California :)
Chris's experience was much different, maybe because he was in an actual building. The cell-phone networks were all overloaded and it took Chris an hour to get a hold of me. I didn't even try calling him until I realized it was an earthquake. HA!
Now then here are some pictures of our day
Lilah and Liam checking out the cow. I think Liam really liked him because I always read THIS book to him :)
Liam and the donkey
The kiddos petting the donkey. Liam had his other hand on him.
The spot the babies felt their first earthquake together ;)
I love these two
Liam ended up missing his 9 month pictures due to the chaos (no worries they are rescheduled for tonight). I also didn't lay anything out for dinner because we had plans to go out after his pictures so we ended up walking to Chipotle and letting Liam play on the way there.
This one just cracks me up. I believe he was in the middle of screaming/talking when it was taken.
Mommy and her boy
On the way back Liam road on daddy's shoulders and enjoyed pulling his hair.
My boys :)
I will do a nine month post on Friday after Liam's appointment :)
No comments:
Post a Comment