Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Basement Sweatshop

So, I had this idea that I wanted to make the baby crib bedding.  Three seconds later I it occurred to me how ludicrous the idea was!  Later that day Brandi posted on her blog how she was making her baby a quilt.  I then decided to email Brandi for advice, and she convinced me I should attempt it, much to my dear husband's dismay.  A few days later I dragged Chris to the most dreaded place on Earth...WAL-MART (I am still not sure he has forgiven me) [nope - WCC].  I decided I really didn't trust my sewing skills and decided to start with just a regular blanket.  I got a cute little neutral pattern with frogs on it and I like frogs as anyone who has seen my home decor knows:)  I have never used batting, which is the cushion stuff for the blanket.  It was a NIGHTMARE.  That stuff does not sew straight and it stretches.  So anyway- long story short- I finished the blanket and it works but it is not perfect, as I would like it to be.  I found out later it is best to pin the down the batting all over the blanket so I am planning another practice run before an actual attempt!  Here are some pictures of our very first baby blanket!
Ta-Da!
       Okay and now for some more belly pics!

Our baby is 6.7 inches and weighs 5.3 oz It is about the size of a baked potato!



5 comments:

Brandi said...

Hahaha Chris!

I think your blanket is cute! Your next attempt will be even better!

Aubrey said...

How cute. I think it's perfect.

megs said...

I love your blanket! I also love your motivation and crafty spirit here.

What is up with the unsupportive hubby? Mike has expressed an inability to forgive any trip that involves looking at fabric. Don't they know that crafting keeps us from bothering them during things like sports games? HA!

Tyra said...

Aww...cute belly pic! And cute blanket!

McDyson said...

Your blanket looks TERRIFIC!! I can't believe that was your first try--very impressive. Little Baby Casson is gonna treasure her blanket forever and ever (once you finally make the "official" one).