Thursday, July 21, 2011

Date Night

Last night Chris and I left our precious boy and went on a date night for a quick dinner and to see the last Harry Potter.  I felt so guilty leaving Liam for our own pleasure.  Up until now the only few times we've had to get a baby sitter was due to work obligations.  Also, they were all nurses with CPR and ACLS certification.  This time, however, our dear friend Tammy came over to watch him.  She had me a little nervous because she posted a comment on Chris's facebook about how she had been watching youtube videos on how to hold a baby!  Despite her amateur status she did great!  It was really nice having a night out and being able to hold my husband's hand (normally we can't because we have a baby and a bunch of other stuff in our hands).  The movie was also excellent and I am kind of sad it is all over.  I even boycotted Harry Potter until a couple years ago when Chris made me watch the sixth movie.  Now I even plan on reading the books-although it could take years before I finish them all.
This little boy has been pretty cranky the last couple days. I am assuming it is those stinkin' teeth that are still working on coming in, but today he is back to his normal rambunctious self.
Yesterday when he woke up I walked into the room and he looked like this...
He turned the mobile on himself and was just standing in his crib watching it.  This morning the little man has been EVERYWHERE! We bought new end tables and a coffee table to get rid of the glass end tables. Though I have concluded the best way to baby-proof is just get rid of ALL furniture and install rubber floors and walls.   I let him explore where ever he wants and I even let him fall and stand by to catch him only when a particularly catastrophic fall is imminent.  This parenting thing really is a delicate balance.  I want him to climb and do everything he wants, I just don't want him to hurt himself or me to be overbearing. Things were MUCH EASIER before be became mobile,  athough this stage is so FUN and AWESOME at the same time. Liam seems to enjoy the new end table.
He has been crawling on it ALL morning long.
Then he decided to chew on it.
Here he is at the coffee table with one foot in his toy bucket and the other on the floor.
He's a funny boy.
Here he is after he woke up from his morning nap. I love his sleepy face!  He is eating his garden vegetable crunchies.  He LOVES them.  I already have to go buy him some more.

1 comment:

megs said...

I love that time, of pulling up and crawling under and exploring... and I totally relate to how WEIRD it feels to leave the house without a 'real' reason (like work). I believe we are all more sane and better parents when we make time for ourselves and get to see Harry Potter movies... but I don't know if I'll ever be able to just go out on a whim and not feel a touch strange that I'm not with my precious baby child each and every nonworking minute. Ha. Such is life... balancing act on a tightrope juggling lots of random stuff. Sounds like you guys are doing great at it though!