Monday, September 27, 2010

Gettysburg Weekend

This weekend Chris and I took a babymoon to Gettysburg.  It was WONDERFUL.  We arrived late Friday night and immediately went to bed.  On Saturday morning, we walked around Lincoln Square and enjoyed the antique show that was going on.  Grandma, I kept an eye out for white plates with the gold trim but no such luck.  We also took a little tour of the Wills House where President Lincoln stayed the night and wrote the final draft of the Gettysburg address [apparently none of it was actually written on the train -wcc].  After that we headed to the Visitors Center where we watched a brief film, checked out the cyclorama of an amazing painting,( http://www.gettysburgfoundation.org/cyclorama.htm) and wandered through the museum.  Afterwards, we decided that lunch was very important, so we went to eat at a little pub.  Then we headed to Gettysburg National Cemetery.  Finally, I decided that my lovely swollen feet could not take anymore and we headed back to the hotel for a little rest before our ghost tour, but on our way back we stopped at an AMAZING scrapbooking store (and then again on Sunday).  We rested and headed out on our ghost tour adventure.  We had a horrible story-teller but we stuck it out [worst ghost-tour, ever -wcc].  Then we ate at the Farnsworth house. Here is a little history on it http://www.farnsworthhouseinn.com/farnsworthhousegettysburg_022.htm It was delicious and there are 100+ bullet holes in the brick of the building from the battle [Union troops firing as they retreated through town the first day of the battle -wcc].

Here are some pictures the first day.
The Gettysburg Hotel
 Street view and Antique Sellers
 The train station where President Lincoln arrived
 Chris outside the visitors center
 National Cemetery
 Center of National Cemetery
 Apparently some of these canons still work
 The only statue that has both a Union and Confederate Soldier
 Culps Hill in the background
 Part of Cemetery Hill
 Farnsworth House

On Sunday we took a tour bus of the battle field.  Yup, we sat on the top and it was actually chilly outside.  Chris even had to run inside the shop and buy a Gettysburg sweatshirt.  The tour was two hours long and covered all 3 days of the battle, but it barely touched on all of the over 300 monuments, statues, and history.  Which means we will have to go back someday.  We then headed out of town hit up and outlet mall.  We also went to the National Fallen Fire Fighters Memorial on our way home.
Dorky tourist headphones.

 Various Monuments along our tour

Segway dorks.
View from Little Round Top overlooking Devil's Den
Johnny Reb 
 Little Round Top
 Pennsylvania Memorial
 Fallen Fire Fighters Memorial

 Viewing the bricks of dedications 
Chris standing by the 9/11 Memorial

6 comments:

McDyson said...

YAYYYY!!! I'm so, so happy you guys went on a babymoon!! And such great pictures to show for it! You both look terrific. And it's about time you made it to Gettysburg. Now you guys can move back here, right? =) Oh! And I'm also very pleased to read that you found your beloved pumpkin bread. You better just stockpile it in case you and the little muffin get snowed in. I love and miss you both!

McDyson said...

P.S. I'm so sorry if my text woke you up the other night. My brother-in-law gave me incorrect time zone information. Don't worry, I gave him an atomic wedgie as punishment.

Brandi said...

Looks like fun. On both my trips out there I managed to somehow miss out on doing things like that. Oh well, some day.

Mike said...

That is because you suffer from extraordinary weakness. You get sick anytime you THINK about a plane. And then you infect all in close proximity.

Chris and Sarah--name the baby Rammstein.

Brandi said...

That's true. My first trip I was perfectly healthy though, I'm not sure why we never made it.

Chris said...

Sarah was convinced Gettysburg was like 5 hours away and we were going to have to stop and stay the night somewhere on the way. You probably were just busy in DC, because it is about 2 hrs. to Gburg.