Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Every parent has to call Poison Control eventually, right?

Last week we were pretty busy.  Tuesday night the boys did a little reading on the floor.
Wednesday morning was beautiful so I called Brandi to see if she wanted to meet up at the park before it got too hot.  The kids had a lovely time running around on the play set and swinging.  Then they just did some running in the grass with a soccer ball.
Neely, Liam, and Colin
The Boys
Love this action shot
My little peanut
When we got home the boys needed some milk.  I am working on weaning Colin from his bottle and he has been drinking out of a sippy-cup but he still treats it as a bottle, Ha!   Liam requested a sippy-cup also.
I also pulled out all the Halloween stuff.  The boys tried on their costumes and they fit GREAT!  I am so excited for this little dragon and monkey to go trick or treating :)
Liam brought home some of his projects from the week at pre-school and I took a picture of them.  I decided I can't keep all of his stuff or I will have NO room in our house.
I am still letting Colin attempt to feed himself here and there.  He usually wears more than he eats!
Friday morning Colin and Liam dumped out all his books and later I found him quietly reading on a pile of books.
We made a trip to Wal-Mart for a few things and found these cute mini grapes that the boys are obsessed with right now.
After our trip to Wal-Mart the day became an exhausting whirl-wind.  I was picking grapes in the kitchen to get them all clean and nicely put in a Tupperware.  The boys were playing when all of a sudden I heard Colin scream/crying and Liam saying "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" in an angry tone.  I immediately went rushing into the laundry room.  I looked at Colin and he couldn't really open his eyes and the tears were just flowing.  I asked Liam what happened and he started crying and told me Colin hit his head.  As I pulled Colin closer I could smell something and he had a wet spot on top of his head.  I immediately got a wet wash cloth and asked Liam if he sprayed something.  He said he did.  So I was frantically looking around to see what he sprayed.  Nothing was obviously within his reach.  But, on top of the dryer was the Shout bottle, and I realized that had to be it and Liam confirmed it was.  He must have stood on his toy car to reach it.  I panicked and threw Colin in the bath and poured water on his head over and over to rinse his eyes.  I called Chris and he called poison control while I called my mom to get into the eye doctor.  Poison control called me and said that the pH of the Shout was not too harmful but the pressure of the spray could be harmful depending on how close Liam was to Colin's eyes.  She said to rinse his eyes good and that pouring over the head is exactly what they recommend, thank goodness!  My mom had already arrived at the house while I was talking with the nurse and the doc sent her over with some numbing drops and saline to give his eyes a good rinse.  We ended up holding off on the drops because he seemed okay and just took him in to see the doc.  The doc looked at Colin's eyes and said everything looked good but gave me some steroid drops just in case his eyes became red again, indicating there could have been some chemicals left in his eye.  Luckily he was okay and no permanent damage was done but at the time I was terrified. 


1 comment:

UsIves said...

Oh, Sarah!

First, we get to see you this weekend- yay!!

Second, I see big boy underwear on Liam- tell me everything you know! (We are going potty shopping this very evening).

Third- You poor Mama!! And poor Colin and Liam :-( I hope I handle my first Poison Control incident as well as you did. SO glad that everything has turned out okay.

I remember vividly hitting Lauren in the head with a golf club (accidentally) when I was probably 9 or so. My mom said I was crying harder than Lauren (who needed stitches), so I feel Liam's pain!!