When I came home Monday Colin had diarrhea and his little tummy was distended. He looked like a pregnant two year old. His lips were chapped and his mouth still a little dry. At this point I told Chris we should just take him in. (We made an attempt to get into the pediatrician on Friday and Monday morning but she went on unexpected maternity leave and no doc was in her office) So we tried urgent care first, they said they couldn't do anything for him and he would need to go to ER. So off we went. When we finally got placed in a room a nurse quickly assessed Colin and we never saw another person except admitting for an hour and fifty minutes! When the PA finally came in he looked in his ears, throat, said it looked a little red and they's swab him for strep and get a urine sample. He didn't even look at the rest of my child. I asked "what about his belly?" He then looked at it and said oh ya well we'll get an x-ray. Then I asked about IV fluids, he said no he doesn't need them, he's not dehydrated. I just said okay and we waited.
Laying on daddy
I went with him to get his x-rays and I don't know how to see a blockage but I knew what gas looked like and poor Colin was FULL of it. When the doc came back in the room. He said "well he fooled me he came in here looking healthy but he may have a blockage". WHAT!? The healthy comment really irked me. Anyway then he said they would keep him overnight and have a surgery consult and may need to ship him to Vegas. The minute he left I turned to Chris and said "No one is touching our baby and if we need we will drive to Phoenix Children's ourselves" Then came the IV, labs, etc. Poor Colin handled it like a champ. They called Dr. Khan and he started Colin on IV fluids with potassium because it was low from the vomiting and diarrhea. The next morning the doc came in said he didn't think it was a blockage, they were going to keep fluids going, and let him have clear liquids.
Colin had to have labs drawn again to see if they were improving. The minute the girl came in I knew she was going to miss on the first attempt. She said how she hated sticking kids and Colin reminded her of her little boy. When they put the tourniquet on his little arm Colin looked up at me and said "Mama, is she gonna poke me?" It broke me heart. Then she didn't get it on the first try she was shaking like a leaf and had to stick him again. The lab tech felt terrible. I felt terrible but we all survived and the sweet lab tech brought Colin a balloon, car, and coloring book later in the day. She really was very sweet.
We spent the day in the playroom, walking around, and watching movies.
He really was a trooper.
He definitely became frustrated with his IV but he did great for a two year old.
My baby
I came home Tuesday morning to feed Amelia and say Hi to Liam. They were doing great hanging with Grandpa for the day.
When I got back to the hospital. I met up with one of the docs I work with and had him go over the x-ray with me (he is a radiologist after all). He was great and assured me that there was no blockage, just lots of gas, and his colon was a little larger than it should be due to the gas.
We hung out all day trying to keep Colin entertained and he had lots of visitors, Great grandma Bradley, G&G Casson, G&G Snay, and his big bro. Later that evening Dr. Khan came by to see how he was doing and decided to give him one more night on the IV fluids and let him go in AM.
Sweet guy getting some rest.
Chris and I decided that I would go home and stay with Liam and Amelia and hopefully get some rest.
Liam and I hung out watching a movie and eating some Chipotle.
We made a video for Colin
Amelia played with her toys
She made a video too.
Once Amelia went to bed. I gave Liam a bath.
We had fun making crazy hair.
He was being super silly.
My mom came by so I could run back to the hospital to grab some stuff I left and drop Chris off some things. When I got home Liam really wanted to sleep in my bed since daddy was gone. I let him and my mom and I visited for a bit. I finally went to bed about 10:30. I was struggling to fall asleep and then around 11:00 Liam started moaning and tossing around. I asked what was wrong but he said nothing. He did this for an hour! Finally at midnight I was exhausted and asked him again but made him wake up enough to answer. He told me his chest hurt. I was baffled. I listened to him with my stethoscope and he sounded fine. I then asked him if he fell or hurt himself earlier in the day. I also asked if he was sure it wasn't his tummy. He insisted it was his chest so I decided to give him some Motrin and see if that helped. Welp, it sure did it helped induce vomiting. Liam threw up all over our bed. Once he finished I put him in the shower, sheets in the laundry, and scrubbed our mattress. Liam continued to throw up every 30 minutes until 4:00am. Between him and getting up with Amelia my night of rest did not happen. Amelia was up at 6:30 and I was at the hospital by 8:00 to get Chris and Colin. Mollie came over and hung with Liam and Amelia while I did the pick up. Luckily, Liam seemed fine the rest of the day and has been good ever since! It was a rough week for all of us and I am glad it is over!
1 comment:
So sad! I hate it when my kiddos are sick. I can't imagine 2 nights in the hospital!
Post a Comment