Thursday, October 16th was induction day. I was NOT thrilled and kept hoping that this little mister or miss was going to come on their own but that did not happen. Wednesday night the boys stayed at G&G Casson's since Chris and I had to be at the hospital at 6:00am. I was still feeling somewhat hopeful since the doc said he would break my water to see if I would go into labor on my own without drugs. He came in and broke my water around 6:45. Chris and my mom were in the room with me the whole time and this is what I did. I sat on the ball and moved around as much as I could hoping to go into labor on my own.
This of course did not happen. I convinced Chris's cousin Melissa to come in and be our nurse for the day. It was wonderful having her. She kept the day moving and brought plenty of humor to go around. By 9:30 I was still going nowhere on my own so Pitocin was started. This was my first time having it though I have heard all the horror stories so I wasn't thrilled. Melissa started it and I still wasn't doing anything so she eventually had to up the dose. Finally around eleven-ish I started having contractions. They came and were painful and feel like my body was working against me rather than with me. After an hour I told Chris I just wasn't in the mood for pain, ha! I really wasn't mentally prepared for this labor at all and I was more cranky than anything about being induced and at the same time I am not a fan of epidurals because they terrify me and I do not like being confined to the bed. I just wanted my baby. Melissa told me she could give me some IV meds so I went with it so I could still move as I pleased. OH MY GOSH, she gave me the dose and I felt like I was in two different worlds! Chris even offered to play the Doors for me, ha! It was by far the strangest feeling in the world. It definitely eased the pain for a little bit though. Once it wore off I gave in and got the epidural around 1:00PM. I was at a whopping 4 cm. As he was putting the epidural in I of course had a contraction. I was doing my best to stay perfectly still hoping the needle wouldn't go in the wrong place. He did have to stick me twice which was nerve racking but it got in and I was at least comfortable. From there it was the waiting game. Finally the pressure was mounting and we let Melissa know and I was basically ready to go around 2:30PM. When the doc showed up and I started pushing right away. She was by far the hardest baby to push out! I think my body was literally folded in half trying to get her out. It took a good 10-15 pushes before she came out. The best moment was right when she came out you could see my mom and Melissa trying to see if it was a boy or girl. Melissa was the first to see that it was a girl and immediately screamed "IT'S A GIRL!!" and then turned around a high fived Chris. My mom of course was right there also and let out a little excitement also. It was a pretty awesome moment to find out we had a little girl.
I can't remember who it was that asked if we had a name but I looked at Chris to make sure we wanted the name we chose and when I announced Amelia Jean my mom about lost it. Jean is her middle name and my grandma's, I had also said previously if I had a little girl that would be the middle name. I definitely do not think my mom was expecting it. I of course teared up and became a little emotional with her. It was another great moment. Little Miss Amelia and I meeting for the first time.
Amelia was born at 3:03 PM weighing in at 7lbs 9ozs and was 21 inches long. Apparently she could have cooked a little bit longer ;)
Momma and Amelia
She was quite the screamer when she came out. I was actually a little overwhelmed and wasn't sure if she would calm down but she did and has been sweet ever since. I am just going with the fact that she was expressing her anger over being evicted.
Daddy holding his little girl for the first time.
One thing about delivering a baby close to home is we had lots family able to come visit about an hour after she was born. Sadie was pretty excited.
Uncle Matt
Squishy baby
Melissa, me, and Amelia.
Sweet baby Amelia
One of my favorite pictures
G&G Casson brought the boys over when they woke up from their naps. They were pretty excited to meet their new baby sister.
It was an awesome moment.
Grandma holding Amelia
Then we gave the boys their "Big Brother" gifts. Colin came and sat with me but Liam was a little nervous about the IV in my arm so he kept his distance.
They both enjoyed their new toothless stuffed animals and batman action figures.
Grandpa with Amelia
Melissa giving her a bath.
She was not a fan
Colin watched the whole bath. He was very interested in everything she was doing.
Amelia did thoroughly enjoy her hair being washed though.
Baby fingers
There has always been something I remember very vividly about each of my babies when they have come out and Amelia's will be the amount of hair and the craziest and longest toes ever.
Family of five and we are loving it.
She is a perfect little addition to our family
Chris went with G&G and the boys to get dinner. Amelia and I hung out and then Melissa came in to assess her. It was a perfect little day!
2 comments:
Yay! I've been checking for this post. So excited for you guys.
An absolutely perfect day, I would say!!
Post a Comment